Tom Kha Gai Soup
Many people have tasted this wonderful soup at a Thai restaurant. Now you can make it at home! Vata and Pitta pacifying; Kapha increasing.
- dutch oven or stockpot
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 6 stalks lemongrass cut into 1" lengths
- 8 thin slices galangal or ginger
- zest of 1 lime or 20 lime leaves
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 6 chicken thighs cut up
- 1½ c. shiitake mushrooms sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- ½ tsp. sugar such as sucanut, jaggery, or turbinado
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- In a stockpot combine the coconut milk, chicken stock, lemongrass, galangal, lime zest or lime leaves, and shallots. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is tender and just cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Serve the soup garnished with cilantro.