This recipe is balancing to all doshas.
- dutch oven
- 1 c. mung dal or mung beans
- 1 c. basmati rice
- 3½ c. water
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1 handful shiitake mushrooms sliced
- ¼ c. dried coconut
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger chopped
- 1 handful fresh cilantro or thai basil
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- your choice of fresh vegetables optional
- Soak the rice and dal for 3-8 hours.
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan on medium heat, place the onion, celery, and carrots. Stirring frequently and adding water so the veggies don’t stick to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes.
- In a blender add ginger, coconut, cilantro or thai basil, lime juice, and ½ c. water and blend until liquefied.
- Add the rice, dal, blended items, and water to the onion, celery, and carrots. This is a good time to add optional veggies as well.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer, lightly covered, until the dal and rice are cooked (about 20 minutes). Add sesame oil and salt to taste.