This recipe is balancing to all doshas.
- large cooking pot
- 1 c. mung dal or bean
- 1 c. basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 inch ginger root chopped
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder or mild curry powder
- ½ c. water
- 6 c. water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 small handful cilantro
- leafy greens optional
- Soak the rice and dal for 3-8 hours.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the ghee and place the ginger and turmeric (or curry powder) in it. Stir for a moment until the spices are mixed and fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for leafy greens and ½ c. water. Stir until lightly browned or until it starts to stick.
- Pour in the 6 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn down the heat to low and cook, lightly covered, until the dal and rice are soft, about 25-30 minutes.
- Add the leafy greens at the end. It will be a soupy consistency.