This is a good breakfast porridge for pitta and vata imbalance. It slightly increases kapha if it is eaten in large quantity because it absorbs large quantities of water. Quinoa can be substituted for rice, which is a better choice for kapha dosha.
- 4 qt pot
- 1 c. basmati rice rinsed and drained
- ½ Tbsp. ghee, coconut oil, or sesame oil
- 1 pinch cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 c. hot water
- Heat the ghee or oil over medium heat and sauté the cumin seeds for a few moments until the aroma starts to come out.
- Add the rice and mix well. Add the salt and hot water. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to very low and cover.
- For stickier rice leave the lid ajar; for drier rice keep the lid on tight.
- Cook until the rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.