Oven-Baked Mac & Cheese
This recipe is pacifying to Pitta and Vata but is Kapha aggravating.
- 9x13-inch baking pan
- 2 c. macaroni or noodles of your choice uncooked
- 3 Tbsp. ghee or butter
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated
- 2 c. cheese grated (I like monterey jack, mozzarella, colby, and cheddar)
- 1 qt. whole cow's milk
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the noodles in the bottom of a baking pan.
- Dab small pieces of the ghee/butter randomly around the noodles.
- Sprinkle in some salt and black pepper.
- Spread the grated fresh ginger and chopped garlic evenly around.
- Distribute the grated cheese on top of everything, ensuring even coverage and that the noodles are covered.
- Pour the milk over everything, again ensuring that the noodles are completely submerged.
- Sprinkle the turmeric powder on.
- Bake at 350° for 45+ minutes. The top should be a nice golden brown, and all of the liquid content should be cooked off.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Note The garlic, ginger, turmeric, and black pepper serve to make this recipe less Kapha-aggravating than it would otherwise be. For those who think they don’t like garlic and/or ginger, you’ll be surprised that they affect the flavor of this dish very little; the cheese overpowers them.