This recipe is balancing to all doshas.
- large cooking pot
- 1 c. mung dal or bean
- 1 c. basmati rice
- 3 c. water
- 1 onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 handful okra
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- garlic, jalapeño, avocado, zucchini, arugula optional
- Soak the dal and rice for 3-8 hours.
- In a large saucepan on medium high heat, place the onion, celery, and carrots. Stir frequently, adding water so the veggies don’t stick to the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the dal, rice, spices, and water (but not the cilantro). This is a good time to add optional veggies (except for avocado and greens) as well.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer, lightly covered, until the grains and beans are cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Add remaining veggies, cilantro, and salt to taste.