This recipe is balancing to all doshas.
- dutch oven or large pot
- 1 c. mung dal or beans
- 1 c. basmati rice
- 3 c. water
- 1 leek diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil or 3 Tbsp. fresh basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary or 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- garlic, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, peas optional
- Soak the dal and rice for 3-8 hours.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat place the onion, celery carrots, and bay leaves. Stir frequently, adding water so the veggies don’t stick to the pan, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, dal, rice, all spices, and water. This is a good time to add optional veggies as well.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer, lightly covered until the dal and rice are cooked (about 20 minutes). Add olive oil and salt to taste.