Asian Summer Salad
- 4 qt pot
- large mixing bowl
- ½ c. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ c. low sodium soy sauce or Bragg's or tamari sauce
- ¼ c. oyster sauce or fish sauce
- ¼ c. rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh turmeric chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 bundles bean threads
- 1½ c. carrots julienned
- 1 bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 oz. bean sprouts
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 3 scallions sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ head cabbage sliced
- ½ bunch kale deveined and sliced
- 1 avocado sliced, as garnish
- 2 c. peanuts chopped, as garnish
- Whisk together the oils, sauces, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, turmeric, and garlic in a medium bowl. Let sit for at least one hour to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Bring 1 quart of water to boil.
- Turn off the heat, drop in the bean threads, put the cover back on, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, strain off the water, reserving the bean threads.
- Very lightly steam the kale and cabbage.
- In a large bowl, combine together the bean threads, carrots, bell pepper, bean sprouts, cucumber, scallions, cilantro, kale, and cabbage.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Serve with garnishes of chopped peanuts and sliced avocados.