Actions: Allium sativum has a heavy, pungent and heating effect on the constitution that can be beneficial especially for Vata and Kapha doshas. The strong actions work well to bring heat and create movement in the body systems. Garlic is also one of the oldest known medicines for coughs, bacterial and viral infections.
Indications: GI infections, asthma, eyesight, colds and flus, digestive upset, diabetes, UTI, colic, arthritis, plaque buildup, infections, viruses, bacterial infections
- May interfere with anticoagulants, cholesterol- lowering drugs, and other drugs.
- May increase iodine uptake- avoid in hypothyroidism and early pregnancy.
- Long term use may irritate the mucosa.
- Avoid in acid reflux.
- Increases Pitta dosha.
Preparations and Doses:
- Fresh: 1 clove up to 3x daily
- Allow bulb to oxidize for 3 minutes for best results
- Dry: 2-4 grams 3x daily
- Oil: 1-2ml / dose
- Juice: 10 ml up to 2x daily