Actions: Often used in culinary, the actions of Elettaria cardamomum are light and dry. They come together to create an effective mechanism to help stimulate digestion and calm nausea, bringing warmth and movement into the system. This can help to relieve gas or prevent indigestion from eating when working correct constitutions. Antimicrobial actions are useful in respiratory and fungal infections. Many of the actions are a result of the volatile oil constituents.
- Useful in cholagogue – poor fat digestion
Indications: Pitta pacifying, digestion stimulation, halitosis, gas relief, stomach/intestinal cramping, topical or internal fungal infection, respiratory infection, coughing (bronchitis)
Safety/Contraindications: May be contraindicated in severe liver conditions and pregnancy.
Preparations and Doses:
- Infusions: 1 tsp crushed seed / 1 cup of water
- *Do not boil too hot or the volatile oils will dissipate; cover while infusing
- Powder/Capsule: .25-.5 teaspoon
- Essential Oil: 3-5 drops/dose